Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Grandma Barrell's 80th Birthday!

Grandma Barrell is such an incredible woman.  I love her so much!  I'm so grateful Landen and I were able to go home to Indiana to celebrate with her.  Thanks Mom and Dad for making it possible!  80 years...that is awesome and definitely something to celebrate.  We had such a great time with my family! 

My Mom did this really cool thing where she sent out a letter to all of Grandma's family and friends telling them to send a card or letter to Grandma for her birthday.  She didn't want a big party or anything so this was a perfect way for people to show their love for her...and boy did she feel loved!!!  It was so fun seeing her so excited when her mailbox was stuffed with letters for a few days!  She couldn't figure out how everyone remembered her birthday!  My Mom's so sneaky.  I made sure to still send her a card even though we were going to see her.  It was fun thinking about my Grandma and all the memories I have with her.  Here are some of my favorite memories of Grandma Barrell:

* When Mom was single and working and raising two kids alone we lived right around the corner from Grandma and Grandpa which was fantastic!  I was able to build a special relationship with my grandparents since we were so close!
* Mom would drop Bryan and I off at Grandma and Grandpa's on her way to work before we had to go to school and we would have breakfast there.  Grandma made oatmeal a lot and she loved me so much she never put raisins in mine! 
* During the summer Grandma would take us to the pool a LOT.  We always got 25 cents for the concession stand, I either got a small Chico-Stick or a Tootsie Roll.  And some days, if I was really lucky, she would let me get in the pool with her and her friends during break time when it was adult swim!  (Kids could be in with an adult "escort.")  Oh yeah!
* I still, to this day, love that Grandma still sends cards and letters.
* When we moved after Mom got remarried I would go to Grandma and Grandpa's for a week or two during the summers...I loved it. 

*** One of the most important things about my Grandma is that she is a woman of God.  She is a woman of faith and exemplifies that in her life.  She has always been an incredible example to me of relying on God and making Him a part of your life.  I'm so grateful to have that in my blood.  I'm so lucky to have such an wonderful woman in my life!

So, we just had a little family party for her this year.  She wanted to go to Red Lobster, so we did.  It was a fun day to spend together as a family!
As I said, she loves Johnny Depp!  My Aunt Ellen got this for her!  She's going to put it in her spare bedroom...we just told her to not get scared and think someone is in her house!
Uncle George and Geoff
Uncle Dale and Aunt Janice
Dad with the Mini Johnny
Chris with Grandma's kitty, My Girl
Uncle Mike and Aunt Carol
Mom and Dad
Uncle George and Aunt Janice, Grandma's sister and brother-in-law, they drove in from Iowa
The Grandkids and Spouses: Landen, Aubrie, Chris, Geoff and Chelsey
The Kids and Spouses: Uncle Mike with Aunt Carol, Mom with Dad, Aunt Ellen with Uncle Dale
One of us for good measure!
 Happy Birthday, Grandma!  We sure love you!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment