Sunday, November 18, 2012

Bad things happen in three's, right?!

This past weekend was INSANE. I was writing in my journal about it a few nights ago and realized that it doesn't sound nearly as crazy on paper...but when you take in the emotional side and the fact that I'm pregnant I was totally pushed over the edge.  So here it goes:

Well, it really started about 2 weeks ago when I got a traffic ticket for rolling through a stop sign.  I thought I had stopped, apparently not.  Oh well.  I made it 28 years without any kind of ticket, so I'll say that is a success!  But still, not to happy with having to pay that fine, I'm not made of money. 

Then this past weekend everything got worse.  November 9th: We were driving down to my brother's Friday night and it was snowing and yucky out.  We were in separate vehicles because Landen came down from Newton and would have to leave earlier than me to get back up there.  We were getting close to Springville, literally about a 1/2 mile from our exit.  I had merged over to the far right lane preparing to exit and Landen was still in the next lane over.  All of a sudden the truck in front of Landen slammed on his brakes so Landen did the same.  Then the truck swerved to the left and as he did so Landen saw the disabled car just sitting in his lane, so he swerved too.  The first truck hit the front end of the car propelling it into the front passenger side of Landen's truck then he hit the truck in front of him, which at this point had come to a complete stop.  Oh, and I got to watch it all from the next lane over...I think that may have been worse than actually being in the accident.  It is no fun watching your husband's vehicle getting smashed up on the freeway!  I was still driving and finally came to my senses and pulled over and ran back to where the accident was.  Of course I was crying and totally freaked out!  I was so glad to find out that Landen was fine. 

Apparently the reason the car was sitting disabled in that lane was because the driver had been going way too fast and starting spinning out and was hit by a semi as it crossed into that lane.  Stupid kids driving too fast in bad weather!!!  Kinda makes me mad.  Anyway, I won't go there. 

We spent a lot of time waiting as the highway patrol got all the paperwork done and the tow trucks got there and hauled away the vehicles.  It was so cold and wet!  I was shaking because I was cold and one of the firemen kept asking me if I needed to get my vitals checked...finally we realized he didn't know that I wasn't in the truck!  He asked if I wanted them checked anyway...um, no. 

It was so nice to finally get off the road and to my brother's house.  I was so done.  On Saturday I called to file a claim with our insurance and basically we just have to wait until the police report comes out to see who is going to be responsible for damages. It is just frustrating not knowing.  Luckily Landen was not cited for anything. 

The next weekend Landen came down to help me go get the truck out of the impound where it was just racking up a bill.  We had to pay out of pocket for the towing and storage fees, but the guy was really nice and cut the storage fees in half.  Tender mercy.  And our insurance will reimburse us for the towing fees.  Another tender mercy.  Hopefully once all this gets worked out we will get paid back for the storage fees, but we'll see.  We went to drive the truck out and had to remove the bumper because it was pushing into the tires...we didn't think the damage was that bad.  Then I was standing there looking at the truck with the bumper off and realized there was a lot more damage than we thought...the tires were both turned outward.  Yeah.  That's not good.  We drove it enough to get it off the lot and out on the street.  The next morning our friend, Justin, took us down there in his truck and towed it up to Salt Lake where we met Wayne and he loaded it on a trailer and got it up to Newton.  That doesn't sound so bad when you put it in one sentence...but what an ordeal!!!  Oh my gosh.  I never want this to happen again.  No fun.  We are really blessed to have great family and friends to help us out.  Luckily Wayne and Anita are letting Landen use Adri's old car for now, otherwise I don't know what we would do! 

You may be wondering what our third bad thing was...the next day after the accident we went to leave for my work party and my car wouldn't start!!!  That did me in.  I was so frustrated!  Of all the weekends it had to die.  It was just the battery so we got that replaced and it's been fine since, but man! 

Well, I thought we were done in the car department until we hit a bunch of debris (metal pipes and gates that must have fallen off a truck) on the freeway as we were driving down to get the truck out of the impound.  I couldn't believe it!  The car has had a very annoying shake since then.  Grr...  So we went and got the tires rotated and balanced to see if that would help and we were told that one of them is bald and the others are close and need to be replaced soon.  What?!  You have got to be kidding me.  So yeah, just in the car department I'm a little stressed out...let's not mention that I'm pregnant, we're buying a house and I'm still looking for a job so I can actually move and live with my husband!  When it rains it pours. 
This was after we straightened out the wheels: Passenger side = straight. Driver side = NOT straight!

1 comment:

  1. You have got that right...when it rains, it pours!! I'm so sorry you had to deal with all that-especially while pregnant, but how grateful you must feel that you and your husband are alive and healthy!

    ReplyDelete