Wednesday, August 24, 2011

June 28th, 2011 ~ Salt Lake Bee's Game

I was lucky enough this year to get some tickets to the Salt Lake Bee's from someone I know.  It was so nice of him to share!  We were able to go with Adri, Jared, Anita and Wayne.  It was an...eventful evening to say the least!  We met up for dinner first at Apollo Burger. Then we headed over to the stadium...and this is where the fun began.  First off, we got lost!  AH!  Darn roads that aren't marked saying, "This road will take you directly onto I-15"...grrr...but we made it there eventually. 

We had great seats along the first base line...well, we thought they were great!  Until a crazy thing happened.  A foul ball was hit our way.  Now, this is one of those moments in life that you don't think will ever happen to you, or one of those things that you only see in a movie... So, this ball is hit and it was coming directly at us, no exaggeration here. It all happened so fast, yet it was in slow motion.  As I sat there watching the ball I kept thinking that I needed to move but I couldn't seem to do anything. Then all of a sudden I closed my eyes and thought, "Ouch!"  I realized the ball had hit me...THEN I realized it had pegged Adri!  I just got the ricochet.  When I looked at her she was so pale and it had knocked the wind out of her. It was so crazy!  I still look back and it and realize how insane it was.  Of course the people came down and did an incident report and all that jazz and eventually they took her up to their little medical station to check her out a little better.  Nothing was broken but she had a pretty massive welt and bruise right on her ribs. 

When the four of them went up to the medical station Landen and I stayed in our seats with all of our stuff.  While we're sitting there people kept asking us if she was okay and then one guy goes (to all the people around us), "Hey! Where's the ball?  She should at least get to keep the ball."  People started looking around and then this little family a few rows in front of us said they had it and handed it up to us.  They had a little boy and he was very sad to see it go!  It was kinda funny b/c he just didn't understand.  (But no worries, he was rewarded later in the evening and ended up with a ball of his own!)  So Adri got to keep the ball...though I'm not so sure it's a pleasant reminder of the evening.  And we were joking the other day that Jared doesn't want the ball b/c it will always remind him of how he didn't protect Adri...and she could use that against him for a really long time :)  HA! 

The next day Landen was listening to the radio and the guys were talking about seeing that happen at the game and Landen wanted to call in and say, "THAT WAS MY SISTER!"  But he didn't.  So there you have it...another memory preserved for posterity's sake.  Oh yeah...and pictures to go along!

Adri and "The Ball"
 A view of the field AFTER we moved up so we weren't so close anymore...we just couldn't sit down there comfortably!  Every time a ball was hit in our general vicinty we got a little nervous... 
 Wayne, Nita, Jared and Adri
 Me and Landen 

No comments:

Post a Comment