Ellie Beth Hardy ~ Birth Story
April 12, 2013 ~ 7:55 pm
7 pounds 6 ounces ~ 20 ½ inches
Friday April 12th quickly became one of the very
best days of my life. We welcomed our
first little one, Ellie Beth, into our family.
Landen and I could not be more thrilled to finally have her here!
It all started on Thursday when I went to my doctor’s
appointment. I was dilated to 2
centimeters and 80% effaced…not much progress from my appointment the week
before. Dr. Olsen stripped my membranes
again…a little more aggressively than last week, or at least it felt like it. We scheduled an appointment for the following
Monday to see him and get an ultrasound in case I didn’t have the baby by
then. I was praying I didn’t make it to
that appointment!
After we left my lower back started hurting really bad. It was a constant pain that didn’t let
up. I hadn’t had any pain like that
during my pregnancy. I became so
uncomfortable that I called the doctor’s office to make sure it wasn’t
something to be concerned about. They
told me to take some Tylenol and a warm bath.
I did just that. While I was in
the bath I felt better, but once I got out the pain was back immediately. So I just had to put up with it the rest of
the day. (Little did I know at the time
I’m pretty sure it was the start of my labor…oh the joys of first time
pregnancy!)
Friday morning started at 7:45 am. Landen sent me a text to call him because he
was at the store to buy our strawberries to make jam and needed to know how
many to buy. (Side note: We were
supposed to make jam with Nita on Saturday, if I didn’t have the baby. She ended up having to make it for us! And the reason we felt the need to do this
the weekend I was due was because the strawberries were on sale for $0.99 a
carton! It was a steal! Anyway…) That is when I noticed the contractions. HELLO!
As I thought back on the situation, I’m pretty sure I was
having contractions throughout the night.
When I would get out of bed to go pee I would have these pains that kept
me there for a little bit, but it was the middle of the night and I was out of
it and didn’t think much of it. I wasn’t
up long enough to have more than one so I didn’t realize it was
happening.
So, at 7:45 I started timing my contractions. They were about 7-10 minutes apart and
uncomfortable. I was still having the
back pain from the day before…yuck! (I
ended up having a lot of back labor. It
was not fun at all.) I wasn’t too
concerned at that point and just kept praying that they would continue…I didn’t
want it to be false labor! I soon found
out that it was NOT false labor. Ha! I’m
so grateful that my labor started naturally.
That was one thing I really wanted to happen naturally because then I
would know that my body was ready to be in labor…I really didn’t want to be
induced.
I kept track of my contractions all morning. Landen was up with me for a little while but
I told him to get some sleep since he had worked all night and we’d hopefully
need to go to the hospital that day. I
told him I would wake him up if I needed him or we needed to leave. He went to bed. I took a shower and shaved my
legs. Yes, I shaved. While 9 months pregnant and in labor…I
couldn’t be having a baby with hairy legs!!!
Ridiculous, I know. Then I
started watching “Remember the Titans” and tried to relax.
Not too long into the movie I had 3 contractions 3 minutes
apart. That got my adrenaline
pumping. I figured it was a fluke but
kept a close eye on things. After that
point they came between 3-5 minutes for a while and then I was consistently
having contractions every 4 minutes. I
stuck that out for probably about 45 minutes, all the while they were getting
stronger and stronger. I had a fear of
going to the hospital and then being sent home so I was trying to put it off,
but finally I knew it was time. I woke
Landen up so he could shower. We grabbed
our last minute stuff and were ready to go.
I had most of our stuff packed in the car for about the past 2
weeks…just in case!
All morning I had been keeping my Mom, Nita and Adri up to
date on my progress. Mom called as we
were trying to leave the house, but I couldn’t focus on talking and leaving and
contractions all at the same time. She
asked what was keeping us from going to the hospital and I said, “Being on the
phone!” Oh! She got off the phone pretty quick! I felt bad, but I couldn’t handle it
all. The contractions were getting
pretty painful by this point.
The ride to the hospital was a little surreal. It’s one of those moments in life you always
wonder about and what it will be like…and if it will be like it is in the
movies! Well, it was missing the
exciting background music! Oh well, I’m
over it. I was just focused on getting through each
contraction. We got stuck at a long
light and I was having a bad contraction and just remember hitting the car door
to get through it. It was kinda funny.
We arrived at Logan Regional Hospital and hurried in to
Labor and Delivery. It was pretty calm
in there, not much going on which was nice.
As the girl was getting my information she asked me if I was okay to
stand there for a few minutes. Sure, why
not! I’m in pain whether I’m standing or
sitting. I was impressed with how
quickly they got me back and hooked up to monitors and all that jazz. Once I was all hooked up so they could
monitor my contractions it was about 11:30 am.
They monitored me for a little while and Dr. Olsen was downstairs
keeping track of things and he said they could admit me. THANKGOODNESS!
Once they had the permission to admit me they asked if I
wanted an epidural. Umm…I can get rid of
this pain? YES!!! By that point I was hurting pretty bad. Landen, Adri and Nita and I would be talking
and laughing one second and the next I was in tears from pain! It was crazy.
Again, I was impressed with how fast they came in and gave me the
epidural. It went really smooth. I was grateful for that. I just told myself to be calm and not to
worry about it. A friend had told me
that it doesn’t hurt any more than when they draw blood and she was right. It wasn’t bad. A little uncomfortable, but at that point I
didn’t care...I just wanted the pain to go away. I’m grateful for modern medicine. Once the epidural kicked in I was living the
high life! HA! It was fantastic. It was crazy to watch the contractions on the
monitor and know that they would be worse than what I felt earlier. I didn’t want any part of that. Maybe I’m a wimp, but I don’t care. It was a great choice for me. I wasn’t completely numb, which I was
grateful for. The lower half of my body
was tingly…really, really tingly…like when your leg falls asleep. And I felt like I was freezing cold most of
the time but my legs were actually really warm to the touch. It was bizarre. Toward the end, when my contractions were
getting much stronger, I could feel them just enough to know they were
happening but there was no pain. Since I
wasn’t completely numb I could feel when I was pushing which was nice because I
knew I was pushing! I’m seriously so
grateful I was able to have the epidural and that everything went well.
The day seemed to fly by.
When I was admitted I was dilated to a 3. They continued to check me about every
hour. The next check I was only at a
4. Next check a 6! That made me more excited. But the next was just a 7. I was a little bummed. During all of this they had to keep checking
my temperature because I was right on the edge of having a fever (since I was
sick the whole week I was due). At one
point I was .1 degree from having a fever and having to get pumped full of
antibiotics. That made me a little extra
emotional. I just didn’t want to have
that happen. But thankfully my
temperature stayed under the threshold!
(The only thing they did when Ellie was born was that they had the NICU
respiratory nurse in there to check her since I was so close to having a fever,
but she was completely fine.) I’m so
grateful that soon after I was admitted Landen and Derek gave me a
blessing. That gave me a lot of peace
about the situation. I’m very grateful
for the power of the priesthood and knowing that Heavenly Father was aware of
us and our situation.
The next check after my 7 I was dilated to a 9 ½!!! Yes!
That was great news. Before that
I was getting really tired, but once I knew I was that close it got my
adrenaline pumping. From that point
things happened really fast. The nurse
told me that she was going to check me in about a ½ hour. When she came back I was at a 10! It was time to have this baby! She let Dr. Olsen know my progress and then
started getting everything ready for the delivery. I’m so glad Landen, Adri and Nita were there
with me! I couldn’t have done it without
them. I was really glad Dr. Olsen was
there too and not a different doctor.
Earlier in the day he had come in to check me and break my water and told
me that he may not be there to deliver the baby because he had plans that night
with his family…but luckily his plans got canceled!!!
Once everything was ready to go, the nurse had me do some
practice pushes. I had to push for 10
seconds, 3 times during each contraction.
We did a set of practice pushes and then on the next contraction she had
me push for real. After the first push
she told me to stop and that she was going to get Dr. Olsen…apparently the baby
was RIGHT THERE! I think we waited longer
for him than it took for me to push her out!
At one point I coughed and the nurse was pretty much like, “Please don’t
do that again!” While we were waiting
they got out the mirror so I could see and you could already see the top of her
head! I guess she was ready to come.
Dr. Olsen got in there and ready to go and we started
pushing again. I did one set of pushes
and she was crowning pretty good. While
we were waiting for the next contraction we noticed how much hair she had. Next thing we know Dr. Olsen started “doing”
her hair! He got one of the clamps and
started combing it into a mohawk!
Absolutely hilarious. Then I
said, “She got a groom in the womb!”
Yeah, I was in labor and came up with that witty one liner. That’s how awesome I am. We were all laughing pretty good at this
situation! Good memories :) Once the next contraction came I started
pushing again …and out came little Ellie Beth’s head!!! I think I was supposed to push again to get
the shoulders out but I don’t remember doing it…I think she may have just slid
right out. Yeah, I pushed like 4 times
and she came out…I was one of the lucky ones.
The nurses told me I shouldn’t tell other women that, they’d probably
hate me. Ha! I’m just grateful it went so smoothly!!! We were really blessed to have such a smooth
pregnancy and delivery.
Everything else is kind of a blur and happened really fast. They
got her to cry and then after that she didn’t cry again (until I was left
completely alone with her in the hospital room later that night!). She was so calm, even when she got a shot. Landen cut the cord! I didn’t get to see that happen but luckily I
have pictures to prove it :) Then they laid her on me and it was the most
incredible thing ever. We finally had
our little baby girl. She was beautiful
and healthy. That’s all I could ask
for. Of course I cried, tears of joy
that is.
(I had to take a picture of this flower on the way to the car...I knew it was going to be a good day!)


































I love birth stories. And I'm so glad you had Adri there to take pictures. Congrats again. She's beautiful.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you had an easy birth. You crack me up that you shaved your legs, and the joke you made while in labor- NAILED IT! Some of these pictures kind of freak me out, i clearly have not had a baby haha. Most of them are beautiful though. Thanks for sharing the miracle with us!
ReplyDeleteI love birth stories, too. Your story and Adri's pictures convey so much emotion. I laughed and got choked up (not at the same time though!). Thanks for sharing Ellie's birth story with us! She is adorable and you can really see the love in your face when first got to hold her.
ReplyDelete