Thursday, September 17, 2015

Potty Training Attempt #1...

I had big plans of potty training Ellie in 3 days...well, this was an EPIC FAIL.  I really thought she was ready.  She had been showing interest and asking about it, so I figured it was a good time to do it.  And it would give us plenty of time before the baby comes to make sure she was good to go with it.  She had different plans.

She loved wearing her big girl panties, but that was about it.  We put them on yesterday morning and spent the day in the kitchen in case of accidents.  It was hard.  I was struggling to figure out her signs of when she needed to go...and she was too.  When I would notice she started peeing in her panties we would rush to the bathroom and get them pulled down and sit on the potty, and then she wouldn't pee anymore.  At all.  I could not get her to release into the toilet.  Not once.  She would sit there but just wouldn't let it go.  I know she needed to go, but she just wouldn't.  And as the day went on she refused to drink anything so she wasn't needing to pee too frequently.  

By the evening she still hadn't even gone in the potty once.  I got her all ready for bed and things were okay.  I didn't put a diaper on her because I was trying the "all or nothing" method basically.  I knew she would have an accident at night and I was okay with that.  Well, it didn't take long! She was in bed less than 5 minutes when she started yelling for me.  Nita was here because she stopped by to see how things were going.  We ran in and Ellie's jammies were wet.  I started changing her and she started peeing a lot, so we ran into the bathroom and I put her on her potty and she FREAKED OUT.  Like bad.  She was crying and trying to get up and wouldn't stay on the potty.  She was acting like it scared her to actually pee in the potty.  I felt so bad for her.  She was so terrified.  So of course she then peed all over the flood because she would not stay on the potty and her bladder finally just couldn't hold it anymore.  

Once she calmed down and I got her cleaned up Nita headed home.  It was a lot to handle with an extra person.  Then we had a second round of this happen, though she stopped peeing this time and wouldn't even sit on the potty.  So I got her cleaned up and changed again and she just wanted to cuddle with me.  I was feeling so bad for her so we just cuddled.  She was finally calm and relaxed.  All of a sudden I realized that I was SOAKING wet, from my thighs to my mid stomach.  Soaking.  Wet.  I think she finally relaxed enough that her bladder released everything it had been holding onto.  And I just let it happen.  She needed to empty her bladder.  Eventually I got her cleaned up and calm and back in bed and we were fine for the rest of the night.  I did not put a diaper on her and wanted to see how it went.

This morning she woke up almost completely dry.  She was just a little damp.  But I'm pretty sure that's because all her pee was in my lap last night...  I had made the decision to see what she wanted to do this morning and go with it.  She wanted to wear her panties again, so we tried again.  By this point she hadn't had anything to drink since yesterday early afternoon, so she had nothing to pee out.  She kept her panties dry most of the morning.  Once she finally started to have an accident I ran her to the potty and she once again refused to go at all in the potty.  Finally I made the decision to call it quits.  It just wasn't worth it.  It seemed to have totally backfired.  She was completely regressing.  So I put a diaper back on her and we left the house!  I had to get out of this place.  

Writing it down doesn't do it justice.  The look on her face last night made me realize that she is just not ready right now.  We will just wait until she is.  I've had a lot of friends tell me that they had to try a few times before it stuck for their kids.  And most of them said that once they really were ready they just did it.  And it was painless.  We will get there.  What 25 year old do you know that isn't potty trained?! HA!  So yeah.  I'm just done this time around.  Who knows when we'll try again, but I'm not going to push it.  She'll do it when she's ready.  At least she looked super cute in her big girl panties :)

No comments:

Post a Comment